Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Patty Cake, Patty Cake, Baker's Haydn

We have had a few cooking catastrophes. One is from these little personal pizzas using Pillsbury biscuits (or the like) and flattening them to be the crust of the pizza. We then add all our favorite pizza toppings to them. They're quite fun and easy to make. It is one of Adam's favorite dinners to make. He went to open a can of biscuits and it popped really loud and scared us all. He went to open a second can and it exploded all over our kitchen and dining room. As you can see, there are no salvageable biscuits left. It was very annoying at the time, but funny now that we think back about it. Adam called Pillsbury and complained about it too. He said his hand hurt where the first can hit.  We thought we found all the biscuits and parts and kept finding pieces days later on the walls, behind doors and on the cabinets.
Haydn has been helping a lot in the kitchen lately. I mentioned this before, but his interest in the kitchen started when we first watched Cake Boss. He loves to help stir and pour the ingredients into the bowl or pan. I have enjoyed his help too. He likes to eat the final product and is excited to see how all the ingredients turn into so many different yummy things. I need to get him his own apron too. He always wants to wear mine. Obviously you can see that mine is too big for him. Maybe he'll be a chef someday! 
Today I was in the mood to bake and make things...while just about everyone I know is announcing their pregnancies, I'll just bake cakes and pies. This is the first pie (other than pumpkin) that I have made. I tried to do a lattice crust, but didn't turn out so well. I think I needed to do a little more planning for it. In the food world, odd numbers are magic numbers, as you can tell, I didn't quite use odd numbers. Yes, some of the crust is burnt so next time I will cover it with aluminum foil to protect the crust from 'browning' too fast. We are also making homemade bread today to go with our homemade chicken noodle soup. I love the fall because you don't look or sound so crazy baking and making soups. Happy First Day of Fall Everyone!

We're going to enjoy this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum!

2 comments:

Caryn Allen said...

HE IS SO STINKING CUTE! I can't believe how big he is now!

The Roes said...

Thank you! I can't believe how big he is either. I'm also amazed at how much more I can love him each and every day!