Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Girls Camp

About three years ago I had asked to go to Girls Camp. It's a camp for just the young women (ages 12-18) in our ward (along with the other wards in our stake) to go to a camp and be spiritually enlightened and learn camping/first aid skills. I went the few years I lived in Washington but never went as a youth in Missouri. I was asked to be a leader one year when my little sister was going and that was pretty fun. Anyhow, I asked about 3 years ago to go to camp but they had enough leaders then. This year, our ward was short on leaders or leaders could only make it for a couple of the nights. I only went one night but made a lifetime of memories. I got to know several of the girls that I otherwise wouldn't have. It was interesting to me to see the different styles in running the camp. When I went as a youth, we camped with other girls who had been to camp the same number of years as us. This time around, we camped as a ward. Either way, friendships and bonds can be made. I missed all the silly camp songs though. That's the problem with having it at a Boy Scouts camp. There were several fun activities the girls could do at this camp that they probably wouldn't have been able to do elsewhere. Anyhow, I had so much fun with the girls and the other leader from our ward, I hope I can go next year.

3 comments:

Stoddard Family said...

I hope you can too!

The Roes said...

I hope you're going next year too!

Boyd Box said...

Girls camp CAN be a lot of fun. It can also be your worst nightmare...depending on the personalities involved. Between the camps I've attended as youth and leader and across three states, I have to say that my fondest memories are those of a youth. I miss The Bead Lady (there are some beads at the other camps, just not the crazy make a big deal kind like in WA). The songs were more fun. I don't know, I just think there was a good balance between flat out fun and educational and spiritual. No one else does the Gory Trail and no one else does the Faith Walk to testimony meeting. Definitely things I would incorporate were I ever called to be the Stake Camp Director. =)