Monday, May 2, 2011

What are your feelings?

A friend of mine posted on her blog about Osama bin Laden's death that "the threat of terrorism has not been defused whatsoever." I think that point has been over looked by so many people. Rejoicing at Osama's death is not something I am doing. I don't feel happy or sad, I don't feel relieved or scared. I honestly feel...the same. What is this going to do to our futures? Who knows...we've been 'at war' for so long now that it's probably just another surge in military services much like the ebb and flow of our stock market. At times we need more men and women to serve this country, and others less. We are proving time and time again that history repeats itself. I have seen this happen for the second time in my adulthood and that hasn't been very many years. I remember when Saddam Hussein was captured and then tried and then put to death. However, nothing changed. We were still plagued with 'terrorism' even though this horrible man was gone. Does this really bring closure? I don't think so. This one man can no longer cause fear, threat, etc. to humankind, however his successor can. And his successor and so forth.

I guess in a time like this, I feel that it is important to be thankful to those men, women, and families who serve this country to allow me to feel this way.

I do feel safe. However, I don't feel the world is any safer with Osama dead.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I am glad to know that I'm not the only one that "just feels the same" about this whole bin laden thing. Actually I am tired of hearing about it. Yes he is dead and maybe we did get some information in the raid but let's just move on and let the government do what they feel needs to be done!

Boyd Box said...

I've tried to post before...twice, and we've already talked about it...probably also twice.
But, I'll say it here, too. Killing one person never solved a problem. Killing lots of people never did, either. I'm not saying I think he didn't need to be apprehended, I just think the American public largely overly celebrated his death...in a near jubilation manner, which is wrong.
I will start celebrating the victory of freedom when Christ returns and Satan is bound. In the meantime, I'll continue trying to perfect myself, teach my children, and proclaim the gospel of peace.