Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter

We had a wonderful Easter. We're not big into fictional characters or anything like that, however we had a wonderful feast for our little family. Our day was not rushed. We played together and helped each other, it was a perfect day. We also learned that we really enjoy just staying home and not worrying about getting from point A to point B and back to point A in just a few hours. We had wonderful talks at church and everyone really did focus on the purpose of Easter.

I am in the presidency of our primary (children aged 3-11). Since I'm in the presidency, I get to teach all the children once every 3 weeks. I was really nervous about this when I was fist called, but now I look forward to it and enjoy every moment of it. Teaching the children helps me build my testimony too. Sometimes it is hard to think of ways to help get the lesson or point across to the children. However, yesterday I didn't want to tarnish the message at all by playing games. I have a very strong testimony of the atonement and know that My Savior lives. So, the lesson is easy enough to teach when you know it to be true. I pulled up a chair and sat down in front of all the children. I'm not superior to them and I didn't want that teacher/student atmosphere. I had everyone open their scriptures to John chapter 20. We read versus and then we discussed. I had a few pictures to help depict the scenes. A lot of the time when teaching the children, you just talk and they listen...or not listen. This time was very different. All the children and teachers were listening. The children asked questions and the teachers would give their input. There were a few questions the children asked that I wasn't sure I'd be able to answer properly. I KNOW that I would not be able to, so the Spirit took over. I know that through the Holy Ghost I was able to teach those children the lesson they should have been taught. I know all those children left primary thinking about the resurrection and what it means to them and how it applies to them. I know that at least the seed of a testimony of the atonement and resurrection has been placed in their hearts. I am so thankful that I was able to be the tool I needed to be for God. I will cherish that lesson and experience forever. If you haven't had a chance yet this Easter season, read or even re-read the chapters on Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. Try to place yourself at the time and think about how you would have responded to the events. Not how you today would  respond with the knowledge you have, but how you would respond to this as if it was your first encounter with Jesus.

Again, I know that Jesus is my Savior and Redeemer. I know that he rose that 3rd day and lives now. There truly is comfort in knowing that Jesus, our Redeemer, lives.

No comments: