Friday, April 22, 2011

Friends for a Reason, Season, or Lifetime

If you have an email address and a friend who likes to send forwards (which we all do), you have received that email about how you and your friends can be friends for a reason, season, or a lifetime. Everyone hopes they are friends for a lifetime, but it takes the lifetime to figure that one out.

This last week has been one of the most difficult weeks for me in a very long time. My friend who has been a friend for a reason and a season (Shut up Danny!) is moving tomorrow. Today they are getting packed up, tomorrow they are leaving. I am very excited for them and can't wait to go visit them at their new home. However, in the mean time I'm losing my great example, gospel teacher, sounding board, motivator, exercise partner, and much more.

She helped me learn how to be the best mom and wife I can be. From our conversations, I learned ways how to deal with different parenting struggles as she had gone through them already, or talked out different punishments. My testimony of the gospel grew to new heights. Instead of struggling every day to get everything in the in house cleaned, I learned that you can be just as effective if you have different things you do on different days. We talked about modesty, when it's appropriate to have chores for your children, the first vision, children, husbands, church, hot topics of the day, and best exercises for our bodies to lose weight or burn fat. Whenever I needed someone to watch Haydn, she was always willing. Whenever we needed our dog watched, she did it! She helped us make time for the more important things in life. When I needed to talk, she listened. When I needed some advice, she gave it.We swapped recipes. I learned how to make some new family favorite meals.

The list can go on and on, but as you can see I am not losing my friend because I do believe we will always be friends. However, I'm losing her daily influence. I have come to rely on her for so much and it is going to take me awhile to learn to be the strong, confident, yet peaceful woman she has taught me to be, and do it all on my own.

I am sad to see my best friend go, but she wasn't just MY best friend. Our kids are best friends, in fact sometime you would wonder which ones were siblings and which one was the friend. Our husbands were friends too! How often do you find a family where EVERYONE is a friend with someone in the other family?
Apparently I don't have many pictures of Laura and I together since I'm always the photographer.

Danny, Laura, Alyssa, and Ashley~
We are going to miss you so much! We are not going to forget our game nights, dinners, and number of other get togethers. Going to the zoo or park will not be quite as fun. New Year's Eve and the 4th of July will never be the same. We wish you luck on this new chapter and hope to see you guys again soon! Thank you for being you.

1 comment:

Danny and Laura said...

You made me start crying again! We will miss you too. This was very sweet and better than any gift you could have given us. Don't hesitate to call if you ever have any questions or need any advice or if you just need to vent a little. Maybe someday we will be able to live close again.