Monday, January 19, 2009

Beautiful Homes

Ever since Adam and I started dating, we would go and look at the most beautiful homes in the town we were in. The longer we are together, the bigger the homes we go looking for. I love architecture and more specifically the architecture for homes. I'm always amazed at how big some of these 'pieces of stone' can be and how different each one is. Many times than not, no detail is cheapened or forgotten. Adam's job takes him to many of these amazing homes. So, Adam continues to 'spoil' me with driving tours of the most beautiful neighborhoods I have ever laid my eyes on. I am not kidding, THE most beautiful. I would say the top of the price range of the homes we had seen were around the million dollar mark. We drove by a 10,000 + square foot house that is currently for sale (3.35 million if anyone is looking). This house comes with land too! It has a gorgeous view (if you like the natural, landscape view). These homes always start the same conversation..."I wonder what they do for a living" The answers very...but they range from ex-sports professionals, managers for singers and sports professionals, and then there are the lucky few who are children of the said professionals. We doubt that they are the only occupations, but that's what we've come up with.

I realized that this love for architecture started as a child. When many kids are playing things like 'house', 'school', or whatever part of life we play make-believe, my sisters and sometimes brothers would play "architects". Strange...I know, but that's what we'd play. I have vivid memories of sitting in my 'office' (or on my bed) with a little green desk and drawing up my plans for the next mansion my client(s) requested. I even had a little yellow briefcase (I believe it held pretend, plastic makeup and accessories at one time) with a few sharpened pencils, a ruler and a stack of paper. With this in mind... I'm surprised that none of us went to college for architecture or drafting. Hmmm...Mark came the closest with Engineering or did Liz with Humanities?

I may not ever live in one of these amazing houses, but I will get to 'dwell' in a house that is equal to them materially and superior to them spiritually by going to the temple. I look forward to when my family gets to go to the temple for ME. I look forward to getting to spend time in something so special and meaningful. So, living in an enormous home really doesn't measure up to getting to go to the temple. Getting to dwell in the temple is something people of all income levels and occupations can do. Never will I question what an individual's occupation is when they dwell in the temple.

2 comments:

Caryn Allen said...

Wow, what insight! You are absolutely correct in that we are all equal while in the temple. I can't wait for when you guys get to go through together. Only a few more months!!

Momma Sarah said...

I sooooo hope we can be there for that special day! It is AMAZING! The kids pray that 'dad will get lots of people that he can to taxes for and that we'll have lots of money so we can drive to Missouri'. You two are amazing and we are so proud of the progress you've made!