Monday, March 8, 2010

Housewife Gets a Job

I never thought that I would be a housewife. I always thought that I was going to work. Up until Haydn was 5 days old, I thought I was going to be a career mom. I remember going to sleep that night and crying that I had to go back to work and that I really wanted to stay home with this precious little boy. A few weeks later I found out that I was in fact going to get to be a stay at home mom, I just didn't know the date this was going to happen. I have really fallen into the stay at home mom gig and wouldn't trade it for the world. My heart goes out to those mothers out there who do work. You are much stronger women than I am. I could not leave Haydn every day to go to work.

I have a guilty pleasure watching "The Real Housewives of *name city or state*". After this last week I really felt like the above "House wife gets a job".

Ok, so not entirely true to what you would think of a job. I helped out Adam's old boss, Steve, for a little over a week while he was out of the country. I answered phones and booked jobs (it's a service type company). Steve called it a "glorified tv watching job", and that isn't far from the truth. I was able to take Haydn with me (which is the only reason I was willing to do it) and he was such a trooper. I think it was after the first day of taking calls, I decided that I really do enjoy getting to be a stay at home mom and housewife. I've gotten used to my routine this way. I also decided that the only benefit of working is the pay. I do enjoy getting paid, but not at the expense of quality time with my family. I also wasn't able to do the things I needed to at home and meals were harder to prepare when you have less than an hour to get something made by the normal time you have dinner. Anyhow, I kept Steve up to speed while he was gone and he said a few things that made me think that he was going to offer me a job. I was correct! This morning I went over there and went over the stuff while he was gone and he asked if I'd be willing to work. Initially, no...but it's just one day a week and I can handle that! So, one day a week this housewife will work and be on someone else's schedule. It'll be nice to have that extra income!

2 comments:

Boyd Box said...

YEA!! I know it isn't the ideal world of being a sahm, but it really does help at a time when the whole world seems to have money issues.

The Roes said...

You're right, but at least I can do the most important part of being a sahm and be a mom. The extra cash is nice, so no complaints here.