Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Old School or New School

I am not shy about my disgust in technology. I think it has alienated people and caused us to be rather rude. You disagree? Let me ask you this...Have you ever been in a get together (dinner, friends over just hanging out, etc) and someone is either sitting in the corner texting or excuses themselves from the group to take that 'oh so important' phone call that probably could have waited until tomorrow to be handled? I have been in both situations. I have to admit, I am guilty of both of those too. There is a wonderful convenience of cell phones and being able to get a hold of someone who you might not have been able to if it were 20 years ago when nobody had a cell phone. However, I find it awfully disgusting seeing how many people use their cell phones DURING church...not just mine, but others I have visited. There really aren't that many people out there that are THAT important. Maybe if you are a doctor and are on call, a police officer/detective and need to rush to that emergency. But does a lawyer really need to take his cell phone to church...maybe for that criminal that took the detective/police officer from church? Does the guy who works in a Monday-Friday business office need his (or hers)? I hate going out to dinner with people and there is usually that one person who's cell phone is constantly dinging because they received yet ANOTHER text. Am I really that boring that you can't sit with me and talk to me for an hour without talking to someone else...upgrading your company to someone more interesting? Don't answer that! =) I remember a family get together a few months ago and there were about 8 people sitting around the table playing a game. At one point in the game, 6 cell phones came out. Seriously!?! Someone else pointed it out and everyone laughed. But do you see my point?

I'm not saying that there are not benefits to technology. I do benefit from unlimited long distance on my house phone and I can talk to any one of my family members for however long I choose at no extra cost. But is it really no extra cost? No...if I were to talk to say, my sister for hours on end (which is VERY possible) is it really free? I sacrifice time with my son, time I will not be able to ever get back. I can use the internet whenever I please and for whatever I please. I love that I can get ideas for my lessons I teach on Sundays from complete strangers. However, I often find myself on the dreaded facebook. It's great to get in touch with people from my past, but I haven't really been keeping up with ALL of them, just a handful.

This brings me to my real point...paper and bound books or electronic books. Which do you prefer? I personally LOVE paper. I have discussed this with my sister numerous times. She pointed out that there is something 'romantic' about holding a book and turning the pages. I feel the same way. I find this same feeling when I write in my journal. I can type much faster than I can handwrite, but there is something 'romantic' or as another friend put it 'Victorian' about handwriting. I handwrite my journal so that my children, grandchildren, and so on will have those books to hold in their hands and to see my handwriting. Handwriting can tell you so much about a person and their mood when they were writing it. I randomly receive cards from my grandmother. I save every single one of them as I LOVE to see her handwriting. It's so...magical. When I see it, it takes me back in time. My grandmother is one of those who will never use a computer. I respect her for that. I want my descendants to KNOW who I was. To have a feel for the pain I went through or the joys I was blessed with. Technology is so black and white to me. My journals are full of color.

I'm very curious to your thoughts on technology. I have heard from my mother-in-law that she prefers the paper phone book over the internet. She says she can't live without her cell phone, but I think she could. She doesn't use it to the extent that so many people do today. I think she's more 'Victorian' than she thinks.

4 comments:

Caryn Allen said...

Oh my gosh, I know. It irritates me to no end when I see people with their phones out at church. I don't know why, but I don't even like people to use their phones for the scriptures. I don't think it's as personal.

As for get togethers and family activities, I couldn't agree more. The point is to spend time with the people who are THERE, not the people who aren't! Ugh.

I'm with ya. Technology can be great, but it's killing our sociality. Have you noticed people's ability to communicate has decreased? You can say whatever you want on the computer or through a text because you can't see their face and how they react doesn't concern you. But when you speak to someone face to face, you are accountable for your words.

The Roes said...

Exactly! I can't stand it when people use cellphones or whatnot for scriptures. I think it sends the wrong message. It makes me think of reading a magazine and hiding it in your text book during school. You're giving the impression that you are following along, but not really.

Boyd Box said...

Ironically, I attended a play tonight. The director gave the traditional spiel of "no this, that and the other" but also added in the no use of iPads. SERIOUSLY??? I mean, you came to a play to watch drama...and THAT can't catch you attention from the stupid electronic and internet world? Yes, video killed the radio star, but what has the cell phone done to the world in general (okay, so, most of the world)?
And, I think it is completely appalling when someone who has sworn off ever joining the "cell phone game" only to jump right on the iPhone band-wagon. I mean, doesn't that sound pretentious to you to put up that front only to reveal the inner you in such a determined way?
Okay, obviously I have WAAAY too much of an opinion on this. And that's ME, the wife of Mr. Techy himself (but, he also shares these views that technology has a time and place and purpose...use it wisely)..

Momma Sarah said...

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!!!! I don't think I can add anything more to what was already said! (But, I'm commenting so you know that I'm reading!) =)