Thursday, February 19, 2009

Wall-E Political?

I'm not a very political person, but I do think 'media' has turned political by putting their own spin on how the things we are doing will end. For example...the kids' movie "Wall-E." I have nieces and nephews who love this movie. I think just about everyone I know got the movie for Christmas this last year. I've seen the movie, and sure, it was kind of cute. I've noticed since being an adult, that the movies intended for children have innuendos and conversations for the adults to get a chuckle. (Don't we as adults have several other movie ratings we can watch and get chuckles from those? That's another point.) I know the 'concept' of Wall-E was on the drawing boards several years ago. However, the movie didn't come out until recently, so the writers had time to change the direction of the film to accommodate current events. Seeing how 'involved' media is in our decisions, I truly believe the movie was to encourage those watching it (including our children) that we need to recycle and reuse more! If we do that, then the human race wouldn't be sent to space for thousands of years as the planet is being cleaned (from Wall-E). To me the movie was a political soap box. I have found this in recent shows on tv as well.

Why should I watch a show that is pretending to have similar problems as me? While watching a show, what is the portion of time the characters are actually working and sleeping (two things we commonly complain about)? So, with this 'economy' I don't see why my entertainment has to relate current events. I also am very annoyed at movie stars thinking they have a leg to stand on. I'm sorry Hollywood, I don't care what you think! Do your job and entertain me! That's what you get paid to do! I don't call the phone operator to tell me who I should vote for in the presidential elections, why should I hear what you have to say! Do you get the opportunity to share your feelings and thoughts because you have the money? If you have so much money, then share with your fellow citizens who do vote for the same things as you! Help out those who helped you get to where you are! (International charities? Really...help your neighbors!)

In short, I'm hoping that anyone who reads this will develop your OWN opinions and feelings for what needs to happen with our country. Just because someone is famous, doesn't mean they have the best interest of you in mind.

5 comments:

Caryn Allen said...

I thought the same thing about Wall-E, but if you watch the movie with the director/writer commentary, you'll find out that the movie was actually not intended to be political in any way. I can't remember the entire explanation, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was just an idea that the writers/directors had, and they weren't trying to push any political agendas.

I do agree with you, though, that we should develop our own opinions politically. However, I feel that it's near impossible to make any sort of decisions with the lack of truth that there is. Politics is a game to me, and I have no interest in playing. I do my duty and vote for who I feel the lesser of evils is, but I really don't care that much anymore. The country is eventually going to collapse and the world is inevitably going to end no matter who gets elected. Just my two cents.

Becca said...

Yeah, DJ and I have gotten burned a couple of times on our Blockbuster queue where we thought we were getting an entertaining movie, only to find that we're getting an agenda forced on us. We walked away an hour later feeling like we had just been robbed of part of our lives that we'll never get back. Going forward I'll be sure to read SEVERAL commentaries before viewing movies starring Sean Penn, Tim Robins, Susan Sarandon, etc. The latest movie that I would warn against would be ‘In The Valley of Elah’. I believe the moral of the story was: People who come back from Iraq and support the efforts have actually become demented from the experiences of war (because, clearly, there’s no way people could honestly support such an effort).

Boyd Box said...

Having studied comparative lit, and having a liberal arts degree, I can honestly say that we aren't going to find any form of media that doesn't have some value/mores backing it. That's the nature of the beast. However, I do agree that people shouldn't beat around the bush and pretend that something "doesn't have an agenda" because everything DOES. Intended or not, it is a reflection of our society, just as Tom Sawyer or War and Peace reflect on the time period and events happening in those respective writer's time. As a public, we should be aware of those things and not allow a children's film or even a PBS documentary to influence our final opinion. We have to become informed through several sources and also from as many different viewpoints as possible (even those that differ from our own as it may sway our opinion or fortify our stand).
And, I hope what I just typed all is coherent...Emily is still sick and climbing on me for comfort.

Boyd Box said...

Just as another side note, the packaging of this movie was not in the standard plastic DVD case. It came in an annoying cardboard one. I get the whole theme, but fess up to your agenda, already!
Other themes throughout the film: People are fat, lazy, and too tuned in to technology that they have severed human interaction/emotions. The only individuals capable of emotion in the film were the robots (love, friendship, protection, anger, domination, etc.) until the robots interrupted their hum-drum lives.
I did enjoy the film, especially the closing credits as it paid homage to the predecessors of art.

Momma Sarah said...

Media IS a reflection of society. That's the essence, I believe, of media (movies, books, magazines, etc.). It ALL has a message to share - whether you agree with the message or not.

We own SEVERAL "children's" movies and they all have a 'political' message on some level. (ex: Monsters, Inc. was finding an alternative form of fuel for energy.) I did find that Wall-E had some themes that really struck a nerve/chord with people. We are a throw away society - there's no hiding that. How many of us use things that are meant to be used over and over or do we use things that are meant to be thrown away? (Diapers, Ziplock bags, milk cartons, etc. - just look in your garbage can/recycle). How many of us don't know the difference from want and need? (Myself included.) While most people are, I think, who are caring of thier surroundings (environment, people), I think we do sometimes get stuck in a self-absorbed 'rut' and it takes something to shake us out of it. We all need a 'Wall-E' to shake things up once in a while. We've even heard from the General Authorities in General Conference about texting/cell phones being used frequently - even IN church meetings and how we, as a people, are becoming more and more 'plugged in'. Just my 2 cents.