Monday, August 10, 2009

Worth Repeating

I appologize in advance, this is long, but please read all the way through! Be informed.

My sister wrote this on her blog and I don't know how many people go and check her's out. So, I'm going to post something she wrote a few days ago.

First, a few of my thoughts. I do not agree with the National Healthcare Reform. I think it's more or less a crock! I've heard time and time again about how it will provide health care to the "unemployed and underemployed". This really bugs me and has bugged me for several years. There is already a national "health care" plan in force and has been for many years. You might have heard of it...Medicare/Medicaid? WIC? Food Stamps? Those all provide necessities to those who are "unemployed and underemployed." I first started getting frustrated with these 'national' plans when I worked at a grocery store one summer. There would be people who would come in on food stamps and they would eat better than many people who were not on food stamps. Sometimes you'd find a person who was ashamed to be on the food stamps, but more often than not they were so proud to be on it. The WIC program works like this...the mother and her children are 'interviewed' and checked out. The program has come up with what things those people need in order to grow appropriately and have the appropriate nutrition. The mother is then given vouchers or 'checks' which she has to sign upon using. The vouchers have a list of foods and beverages that are 'acceptable' to this plan. Depending on the age of the children, the vouchers have things from formula, baby cereal, juice, milk, eggs, beans, peanut butter, cheese and regular cereal. When a family is on WIC, the mother (assuming she is pregnant or nursing) and children are also covered on Medicaid. To be on these programs, you have to have a certian level of income or less. The income each family must not exceed is based on the number of people in the family.

There are currently problems with these programs, so why are we going to go and throw another problem into the mix? I firmly believe that a national health care system is not something we need or WANT. Just ask any person over the age of 65 how much they like their medicare. There are so many loop holes and decisions to make with that! Please, if you are reading this...think about the best interest of you, your parents, your children AND your grandchildren. A national health care program for the "unemployed and underemployed" is already in place!

Here's what my sister said:
I know this is a public forum. I know someone is not going to see this the way I do. Scary. Perhaps tomorrow I will wake up with FBI agents on my doorstep...it wouldn't be the first time (although, it would be more threatening this go-round)!
When I first read this, I was shocked, and, to be honest, scared. This might be the single most frightening thing I have heard or read about the health care reform. Seriously, if someone wanted to be intimidating, they accomplished it. If not, well, someone went about this in an incredibly wrong way. And, by the way, I HAVE sent inquiries to Obama's Whitehouse in regards to this issue and have not been answered, not even the cordial "we've received your email but due to the amount of inquiries we've received, it may take awhile before we can get back to you."
What, you ask, am I talking about? The latest briefing on The Whitehouse blog. Now, I can guess that they didn't really want this to come across as being a new twist on McCarthyism, but that is what it did. Tell Big Brother about your friends, family, and neighbors who are anti-HCR so they can investigate and document those involved in the proliferation of these sentiments and alleged evidences hedged against the passage of this bill.
What happened to the First Amendment to the US Constitution? This infringes upon those rights. We are allowed to disagree with bills and proposals. We are allowed to congregate and discuss our pleasure or displeasure with current affairs and ideas. We are allowed to publish (paid or unpaid) our thoughts and feelings. All of these are permissible through the First Amendment of the Constitution. Do not restrict us, or you are disregarding the reason for the establishment of this country in the first place. Things taken out of context happen on both sides. Perhaps there are things that have been misconstrued on one end, but they can be held up legally in court due to interpretation of those same words. Yes, Pres. Obama makes promises (verbal are the only ones advertised) that we can keep our private insurance/private doctor and all, but, assuming this is true, what is the cost? How much MORE does the average John Q. Public have taken from his paycheck to cover the cost of this program? We've already been paying into one that apparently hasn't fulfilled the need. There is more to this issue than a quick full-court press.
Those I have encountered in my life who have insisted upon a "now or never" deal were people who knew that what they were trying to push or sell was not worthwhile in the long run, and, given the chance to research, ponder, and pray about it, I would discover the whited sepulchre it truly was. I can only feel that this is much the same way. Don't force it. If it is all it is cracked up to be (or not to be) it will become apparent in the long run. So, my advice to Pres. Obama and his Whitehouse, relax. Enjoy the "game". Don't pressure sale the public. Don't intimidate. Don't make YOUR public feel as if they are under the Nazi regime unless that is where you want this country to be.
And, if making a statement like this qualifies me to be imprisoned, I hope someone will claim my children while I spend time emulating some heroes of mine.

No comments: